This shows the Duke of York officially opening Parliament House in 1927, which is now Old Parliament House, in Canberra. A statue of King George V is then unveiled in the foyer and the senators leave for the first ever sitting in the Senate Chamber.
This newsreel clip was produced to inform the Australian public of the official opening of Parliament House.
Several cameras were used, enabling them to capture the events outside as well as inside the foyer.
As it is a silent newsreel, intertitles have been used to explain was we are about to see as well as to link the segments together.
The negative of this film was flown to Sydney for processing immediately after the ceremony, arriving at Mascot 90 minutes later. It would have been screened in cinemas within the week.